Attending – Kathy, Jason D., Mead, Chris, Steve, Al, Chad B., Nick R., Mike Z., Phil, Liz, Chad U., Chad D., guest Jeff, and guest/host Seth
Most of you likely know the story of Rockford Brewing Company’s inception in 2012. If you don’t, take a minute to come up to speed with the article here. Fast forward to 2015 and you can see that RBC is in full stride. Owners, Seth Rivard & Jeff Sheehan, have crafted some excellent recipes and continue to impress with their creativity. They’re also big proponents of homebrewing, so hopefully you’ll see a lot more interaction between the club and RBC in the future!
2. Lots of medals at the 2015 Siciliano’s Homebrew Competition. Nice work everyone!
3. Lots of interest in putting together another apparel order with official Brewsquitos artwork. More details on this soon.
4. Proposal to use club funds for a jockey box. More details on this soon.
5. Tour of Hop Head Farms in Hickory Corners is in the works for later this year. More details on this soon.
6. Large square table format for meeting seemed to work better than the usual long rectangular tables. “This square table is awesome! I can see a lot more dude’s faces.”
Beers and Cyser Sampled
Steve – Witbier, unfortunately no carbonation, damn you carb tabs!
Mead – Schwarzbier (Black Lager), WLP 830 German Lager, determined that it was underpitched after discussion with Nick R., roast character was fairly heavy, but otherwise fairly clean and crisp.
Nick R. – Rodfest IV, 76% Vienna, 14% Munich II, 10% Munich I, WLP 833 German Bock, OG 1.055, FG 1.011, pretty pretty good.
Chad B. – “Rodammer’s Dirty Seconds”, Belgian Stout with coriander and chocolate.
Mike Z. – Spruce IPA, 7.5% abv, 1.5 qt tips @ 10 min. for 5 gal. batch, Sorachi Ace and Citra hops. Delicious beer that started a long discussion on the various methods for using spruce tips in beer and cider.
Chad D. – Sacch. Trois IPA, WLP644 Saccharomyces “Bruxellensis” Trois, super juicy and tropical, whoa…amazing.
Nick R. – DIPA, Conan (aka Vermont Ale) yeast, dank/resinous hops (lots of discussion on what “dank” means in beer). Will likely re-brew at some point and incorporate fruitier hops.
Chris “My family pronounces our last name incorrectly” D. – Chocolate Wheat Porter, cacao nibs in secondary.
Chad B. & Kathy – Calder Red with lots of Citra hops brewed at the 2015 Siciliano’s Big Brew Day.
Steve – Cyser, ~11.2% abv, OG 1.100, FG 1.012. Started with 1.066 cider from Sietsema’s and added 5 lb. orange blossom honey 3 days into primary fermentation. “Very, very good as is, but perhaps a touch of oak would take this to the next level.”
Phiz – “Slow Burn” Imperial Milk Stout with vanilla beans, cacao nibs, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ancho chiles.